What is black mould and why should you be concerned?

Black mould is a toxic pestilence that can pop up in areas of the house that have warmth, humidity, and moisture. Basements and crawlspaces with leaks are highly susceptible to the growth, but sometimes they can also appear in showers and bathrooms.

It is readily identifiable by its colour. As the name suggests, the mould is black.

Black mould is tied to a number of medical issues. Spores inhaled can cause chronic fatigue, fever, irritation of the eyes, sneezing, chronic coughing, and headaches. In cases of prolonged exposure, it can cause allergic reactions, vomiting, nausea, and problems within the respiratory system.

Protecting yourself against this is essential. However, if you’ve failed to stop the mould there is still hope. There are ways to clean the pestilence, keeping it from spreading. It may be best to call professionals, but there are also methods you can try yourself.

If the mould appears in the shower, you can try a number of chemicals. Bleach and ammonia are highly recommended. Natural products also exist, but they are either less effective or need to be mixed by you at home.

Alternately, you could mix a bottle with about two-thirds white vinegar and two tablespoons of baking soda. This mix will fizz, and you should let that die down before you close the container.

With your chosen product, you must directly spray the mould itself. This will kill it at the source and keep it from growing in the immediate area. You’ll want to let this sit untouched for about an hour to give it time to work its magic.

Once the spores are dead, next comes the scrubbing to keep them off of your shower surface.

You’ll want to have an old toothbrush, that you aren’t going to use again. An old towel, again, one you’re willing to lose, will also be useful.

Scrub the entire target area thoroughly, including the surrounding area. Remove all physical trace of the mould to prevent it returning. Afterwards, rinse the area with hot water. The spores prefer warm and damp areas, but hot water will kill any surviving spores. Then dry with a clean towel.

From this point you want ensure that it won’t come back. Crucial to this is to deny it an environment it can grow in. When it comes to the shower, there are a few things you can keep in mind.

Dry the shower after use. This simple tip can prevent mould spores from surviving.

Spraying the shower walls with vinegar once a week is also a good idea.

Run a fan or dehumidifier in the bathroom. This, along with natural light, will help keep the shower a hostile environment for black mould.

Any leaks should be addressed quickly with professional assistance.

Incidentally, the process above will also be helpful for any kind of mould.

Comments 0

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.